gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 535, F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedTrip View Post
One for Guru .....

My recoding exercise included 'Radio off when door opened', which duly worked.

A few times now when I've parked in my quiet driveway and am contemplating my lot, I've heard really faint music - always thought it was the onset of dementia or perhaps someone in the street playing a radio .... anyways, today I realised its the car!

Seems like the Radio is just muted to minimum volume, not off ... cos if you press the knob it totally stops.
Technically correct.

When the car is powered on (say engine running), you would notice that pressing the radio button to turn off the radio actually only mutes the volume. The iDrive unit actually stays on (as it should, because the car is on).

When the car is off (parked), the radio button actually turns the iDrive unit off.

The coding only turns the volume to mute; and does not turn the I-drive unit off. The CAS module (ECU) is still active, and believes the car is running; so the open door action only mutes the volume. iDrive will shut down after you lock the car (or eventually time out to shutdown)

The radio on/off button behaves differently depending on whether the engine is running or not.

... Now before anyone jumps, I'd like to state that the terms On/Off are used very loosely by me above. In actual technicality, the IDrive first goes into standby; and eventually turns off after a few minutes.

The functionality (post coding) you are seeing is normal. I have not noticed this in my car; guess I need to listen more carefully in a quiet environment... but the system is behaving as designed.

Hope the explanation is clear...