View Single Post
      11-30-2009, 08:20 AM   #24
jocamryn
Major
Rep
Drives: '23X4 M40i/'24 X2(In Transit)

After reading all that mumbo jumbo, I accept that I have low self esteem.... I submit that at least when (late model) BMW owners are sitting at a stop light, they can can take a look to their left or right and can reasonably expect to be able to say to them selves, "ha! mine is better!" I do it every day to soothe my abysmal self esteem

Quote:
Originally Posted by sois View Post
A little tidbit:
Compared to the general population, excessive buyers have consistently been shown to possess lower self-esteem (e.g., Roberts 1998; Faber 2004). This finding is also consistent with the prediction based on the theory of self-defeating behavior. Impairment in self-esteem is generally accompanied by negative affect, such as anxiety and depression (Baumeister 1997). People are faced with two choices- either to accept the bad evaluation of themselves or to endure the negative feelings induced by decreases in selfesteem. Usually, people would be reluctant to revise their self-appraisal and would choose to linger with the negative feelings induced by decrease in self-esteem.
Appreciate 0