View Single Post
      12-18-2012, 11:30 AM   #3
HDEddie1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 40i, X3M40i, Audi SQ5

If resale is an issue for you then have the sales guy do a lease quote for both cars and tell you what the residual is at the end of, say three years. Or, simply check adverts for 3 year old 5 series in your region for some insight on what the market will bear for a used 550i or M5.
Where I live (Southern California), I noticed used M5 nor any five with V8's hold their value (as a percentage of MSRP) compared to the more pedestrian models (ie 535i) and in particular, an M5 out of warranty has a even worse resale prospective. Mostly because of the perceived (or real) cost of maintenance and repairs (preventative or known failures).
Even so, most of us that buy these cars are not concerned as much about these issues, gas milage, social issues, carbon footprint...etc.,. right or wrong.
My 2 cents...NEITHER of these cars are good investments, resale wise. Performance wise, no question...go with the M5. You cannot option a 550i nor pack it with aftermarket tuning to come close to the M5 without coming up to the cost of an M5 so its not a good comparison.
Tipping point? It just depends on where you are on in your head..."value" is so subjective. If resale were my only criteria for a high performance sedan and cost were not an object, I'd go with a MB E55 AMG. Those cars hold quite a resale edge over the M5 (at least in my area).
Interesting prospects nonetheless...please let us know which way you go.
Appreciate 0