View Single Post
      09-07-2011, 11:24 AM   #1
kn1
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F07 - 530d GT

I have begun a new thread with this as I've seen so many other threads and posts regarding winter tyres, and I would have had to post the same info in all of them; also I've posted this in the UK sub-forum as the information is correct (to the best of my knowledge) for the UK and Europe but not sure about other markets like the US.

I have attached an Excel file/table (and a pdf scan of the same table) showing a list of the various model options, the normal (summer tyre) fitment, whether these are run-flat or not, and then the direct replacement winter tyre options.

F10_11 Winter Tyres.pdf

F10_F11 Winter Options.zip

If you're on 17" wheels to start with (which seems very rare on this forum!), then you've got fewer problems, but I've listed the winter tyres (RFT and non-RFT) that are manufactured for the European market and whether they're homologated by BMW (* marked on the sidewall), well I haven't shown all non-run flat winters that aren't * marked otherwise the list would have been too long.

If you've got 18" or 19" wheels, the BMW dealership's core offer is a seperate set of 17" wheels with winter tyres (and for them to store your existing wheels and tyres during the winter). If like me you'd prefer to just buy winter tyres that fit on your existing wheels, then I've listed the only tyres available/manufactured for this purpose.

The choices become more restricted on the wider rear axle fitments on 18" (SE option or M Sport standard) and 19" (option on SE and M Sport), but Pirelli do make winter tyres for a direct replacement, and if you can't get the rears you can fit the front size all round (they will fit on the wider rims for both 18" and 19").

Some may ask whether it's worth having a winter tyre in such large/wide tyre sizes, and technically the wider the tyre the harder it is to cut through snow (the snow-shoe effect), but they are significantly better than normal summer tyres - I speak from experience:

Last winter (which was pretty bad in the Peak District of Derbyshire) I fitted a set of Pirelli Sottozero winters on my existing 18" wheels (245/40R18) on the E61 I was driving then. They were absolutely amazing in terms of gripping in all but the very worst conditions. They were run-flats so I didn't have the "what happens if I have a puncture?" or "will it soften the handling?" issues, the only thing they weren't was OE homologated by BMW.

All these tyres will be fairly rare in the UK, but if you start making enquiries now with any decent tyre retailer or the BMW dealership, they should be able to badger their suppliers to source a set, even from stock elsewhere in Europe.

If you're on 20" wheels then no-one makes a direct replacement winter tyre, so you're going to have to go down in wheels size, but at least you can look at the table and choose which wheel size you want.

Have a look and ask if you have any further questions.

Last edited by kn1; 09-07-2011 at 04:15 PM..
Appreciate 1
Sp12348.50