View Single Post
      09-08-2011, 04:48 AM   #1
suvidh
Private First Class
India
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 35i , 2011 f10 525d

2 days , 2 goodyear excellence tyre burst

Started as an exciting 1200 kms road trip however ended up costing me money for the hotel stay due to extra night halt ($400), cost of 2 new tyres ($800 for both)

On the 525D F10 , Goodyear excellence 225 / 55 / R17 is the standard option supplied by BMW.

The roads here are pretty bad, but this was not my first road trip. I have done probably 40,000-50,000 on my other BMW's on similar road conditions. But all prior trips have been on Bridgestone Runflats.

The first tire burst (front left ) happened around 10pm , about 50 kms before the destination. Poor visibility due to oncoming traffic on a 2 lane road , and i hit a pothole at around 100-120 kmph
I managed to drive at reduced speed with cut sidewall (picture below) to the destination. And next day was lucky enough to find one dealer who had a similar tyre in stock (only one in the city, and this city had no bmw dealership)

And then the 2nd day while returning back, had a repeat of the same situation as the first tyre burst. same front left tyre, same speed, and similar pothole.

Called the bmw dealer as i was around 30 kms from the nearest one. They came within an hour with a full wheel , and i was able to get a new tyre from the dealership next morning and drive back to my city (mumbai)

I have anyways ordeded the space saver tyre for now.

I am confused if i should switch all 4 tyres to Bridgestone Potenza run flats or Non run flats. Anyone had similar experience with goodyear run flats being too fragile?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0