07-03-2014, 02:12 PM   #13
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
The no line 3 series have turned into a marshmallow, I think it is actually softer than a no line LCI F10 base model. The handling and the steering on the base 3 series is probably the worst it has ever been. If you are interested in a softer ride, may I suggest a Lexus ES350.
Picturing the 3-series as a marshmallow got me in the mood for some smores.

I think, overall, BMW is trying harder to target a wider demographic... and the once "always sporty" approach to the suspension is being rethought. A lot of people criticized the F10 when it launched for being softer than the E60... and it is, for sure. But BMW bean counters got in a room somewhere and said, "if we want to sell 50% more of these things, here are the traits we need to adjust to reach a broader buyer base."

Clearly they're trying to appeal to Lexus and Mercedes buyers. But I'm not surprised to see that happening with the 3-series, as well. If you want sporty, you can still get sporty - you just buy the "M Sport" line. Where previously, even without a sport package, a certain dose of "sport" was just assumed... it's a BMW, of course. I think that dose is still there, but it's probably as dialed-down as it's ever been in history... and again, to target a broader set of buyers.

The 3-series is the best selling BMW. For many aspiring young people, it's the first BMW they'll own. And I think BMW is trying to transform it a bit from just a hardcore sports sedan to just an entry-level luxury car - after all, the 2-series is now making its mark as "the" new must have small sports toy from BMW. So if the 25 year old young professional woman walks into two car dealers - BMW and Mercedes - I think BMW is trying hard to make the 3 now appealing to her, as well, and not just seen as all-sport-all-the-time... but again, more of an entry level luxury car with a sporty heritage.

This is all just my opinion witnessed from the outside... take it for what's worth (0.02c!)... I'm not sitting in on any BMW board meetings where they're making these decisions. But I think it IS very clear that BMW is trying very hard to grow its line-up, widen its buyer base, and well... take over the world.
Appreciate 0