03-18-2011, 07:56 AM   #16
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by acaller View Post
If you have the HUD display option and not the sun protection glass (yet) then I would hold off...

I ordered mine with the HUD and sun protection glass and took delivery in June 2010. I'm not convinced that the sun protection glass makes any difference, but putting that aside for a moment, what I did find was much more alarming.

In heavy rain, at night, when there are strong low lights on the horizon, such as those from the setting or rising sun, or more especially from oncoming trucks, run marks, like someone has allowed dirty treacle to congeal on the glass and then been unable to remove all trace of it, appear on the glass. I say on the glass, but as I found out, these marks are IN the glass.

My dealer was able to replicate the problem in the car wash with someone holding a bright torch at head height from about 4m in front of the car... So, I was not imagining it!! And I tried detailing and found that no-one could remove it from the outside or inside of the glass. It really was INSIDE the glass.

The dealer has since changed the glass 3 times. The problem is still there, so it must be a manufacturing problem. The dealer says that it's likely the combination of HUD and sun protection options that cause the problem.

Finally I suggested downgrading to the normal non-sun-protection glass. I got my car back on Saturday and haven't had a chance to drive it at night in the rain yet to see if it's any better.

But, as I say, if you have HUD then you may not want to change to sun-protection glass quite yet!
Arn't we talking about the darker glass from the b-pillar and back.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0