09-26-2012, 11:43 PM   #68
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock View Post
Just because there is a video of a german guy telling you how 'special' "M" is etc. etc. .. it's called marketing.
Actually, no. You're really off the mark here. I ordered a fully-loaded '12 550xi back in January, and took delivery in March. Shortly after taking delivery I started modding the car. I ultimately ended up with Dinan Stage 4 (replacing the stock intercoolers), Dinan exhaust, suspension, and some other miscellaneous bits. 525hp or so (I think - never was quite sure).

I figured with all of the upgrades I had a worthy M5 contender. The car was a beast. Insane acceleration, good handling, confident cornering. Replacing the wheels with lightweight HRE's and adding better rubber helped tons with drivability and stability at high speed.

Then, while on a biz trip in Europe, I made the expensive mistake of driving the F10 M5. Holy shit. I wasn't expecting there to be such a dramatic difference between the two cars. After all, I had ARS, DDC, and all the bells/whistles you could shove on the xDrive 550.

It's more than just marketing. It's an M car. And I'm not looking back. I should've kept my E92 M3 a bit longer and not ordered the 550, but in the end, I'm happy - and that's what counts.

I think a lot of the comments on here are driven by jealousy. My oil pump is fine. My car handles great. I don't have "M" problems. Never have, to be honest in any M vehicle I've owned/leased. I can't say that for some other brands. Maybe my luck will change and I will become jaded, but for now I love my purchase and can't wait to get behind the wheel every time I can.

As for the OP and his new business - if his customer is happy with the end result, that's what matters. I disagree with the approach and personally would not be content but in the end it doesn't matter. It would just be nice to voice a dissenting opinion and not be called a hater, etc.