View Single Post
      12-05-2011, 09:12 AM   #1
leewoods18
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 550 M sport

2012 550 M sport review with pics

Hey everyone, I have been with my F10 550 M sport for about 2 weeks and have had time to scrutinize, so here's my review. I am coming out of an e92 M3 6MT and have been happy with the change.

Performance
Engine: It has been a jewel and I am enjoying the torque of the motor. The engine pulls throughout the rpm range. It is quiet (maybe too quiet) and the thrust feels turbine like...not a peaky engine like the M3 (which I did love as well). Can hear the turbos spool faintly in the background.
Transmission: I opted for the 6MT and am loving every minute of it. It is smooth, throws are precise, and typical BMW length. Clutch is not heavy and the package does feel well mated to the size of the vehicle--For those worrying about having a 6MT in a larger luxury vehicle and possibly being "out of character"-- rest assured, those concerns are unfounded. I have ordered the BMW Performance edition shift knob, so I will update everyone on that after install.
Suspension: It is a bit soft and slightly improved in sport setting, very smooth. Cornering is good, but I have had every intention on ordering coilovers since I decided on the purchase. I have KW's on order actually, which will be released for the 550 in January (will keep you posted). I did not opt for the ARS/IAS in fear that it may complicate issues with an aftermarket suspension. KW did say that their coilovers coming out for the 550 will NOT be compatible with ARS equipped vehicles.
Chassis and Tires: Very solid, no shudders of bumps and road imperfections. I am on the 19" 351 wheels and was relieved that it has Dunlop RFTs (as opposed the Goodyears). I haven't pushed the car to any extremes, but "spirited" driving has been fun and responsive. This is not a drift machine like the M3 was however. Steering has been fine without complaints or veering.

Luxury
This car's interior is a vast improvement over prior BMWs IMO. I have the Dakota leather and I think it feels and looks great. In Everest Gray, the contrast with the Antracite wood and headliner looks very good-- contrast with the exterior (dark graphite metallic II) and the everest grey looks great as well IMO. I think BMW has finally caught up with Audi as far as interiors go. CA works well (I had it in my M3 too). Soft close doors/powered trunk are nice touches. Fit and finish is superb.

Aesthetics
I think M sport package looks fantastic. I do think they went crazy with the M badges (in contrast to what I previously thought). I am trying to decrease the number of M badges (shifts/door sills/dead pedal)-- I feel it is a bit of over/false advertising. I have gotten many compliments on the color interior and exterior. I color matched the front reflectors and will changes the grills as well. Can't wait to lower this beast tho, which will make it a real head turner.

Electronics
Haven't updated my iPhone, so Pandora works well. I have the premium system which is actually very good to my surprise. Bluetooth is seamless and the bluetooth phone is very clear from people on the other end tell me. Love the HUD and blacked out gauges. Parking sensors and rear view camera are impressive and required in such a big vehicle. Going to order DVD in motion to take advantage of the large clear display (for the kids/passenger of course)

Overall
As you can tell, I am very happy with my switch from the M3 to the F10 550. I do not think there has been much of a falloff in performance, but there have been marked upgrades in luxury and comfort. I would make the switch again in a heartbeat--this is not to take away from the M3, which was an amazing vehicle. I have matured a bit and I feel this matches my place in life for now.
Name:  truck.jpg
Views: 13997
Size:  222.8 KB

Name:  front.JPG
Views: 9183
Size:  512.2 KB

Name:  front fender exterior.jpg
Views: 9006
Size:  139.9 KB

Name:  back.jpg
Views: 9669
Size:  133.2 KB

Name:  interior.JPG
Views: 11656
Size:  474.3 KB

Name:  angle front interior.jpg
Views: 8950
Size:  108.6 KB

Name:  gauge.JPG
Views: 9636
Size:  446.7 KB

Last edited by leewoods18; 12-07-2011 at 09:45 AM..
Appreciate 0