View Single Post
      09-14-2010, 10:32 AM   #17
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_c View Post
Once you drive both back to back, you will realize they are not even in the same league. The F10 blows the E39 out of the water in almost every category. I understand the nostalgic factor: For its time, the E39 was great, but that was many, many years ago, and engine and overall automotive engineering has advanced dramatically since then.
Very valid comments, we can live in the past. Perception is another thing and the fact that all advancements are not necessarily real progress for man and machine together. From my 'seat of the pants' experience, electronic bits can get in between, feel artificial and also be very slow in response, even if it is milli-seconds in real time. Our brains can expect and process faster responses.

The first time I got in an E39 I was at one with it, never changed to the minute I parted with an E39 touring and moved on. I tried several E60/1 cars, not the same at all. One got close, an LCI 535d M-sport touring, even my wife thought that was getting close to the E39 with M-tech suspension.

Now we both love the F10, trying the Adaptive Drive on Saturday (and the Touring). Just want a setup that gives the E39 driving feel, so close to perfection IMO, so much so that I don't want to compromise.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0