View Single Post
      08-20-2011, 04:13 PM   #39
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuneMan View Post
From my own experience with my F10.. the technology (Throttle, Transmission, steering, Tires...) is just not yet ready for production. It still needs a lot more testing and debugging. I simply cannot drive my car past 120 KM/hr if it's slightly windy. That's how bad my steering is.

Yet, BMW seems to be making decisions to start selling their products before they're mature. How can I trust that it won't happen to me again, say in 2016 or 2020?
I tend to agree, the upgrades, new technology is coming thick and fast, too fast, IMO. Something I sensed with the run-flat technology, not thought through, not fully developed, we were/are putting up with the limitations. I worry about the fast moving new engine range as well.

I was looking to buy the F10/11 last year, and test drives left me with the feeling I'd wait to see them bebugged, it was clear to me there were issues to be sorted. My situation has changed since then, and I'm looking to stay with the 3-series, but very nervous of the impending new F30 3-series, as there will be a lot of new technology and design changes, in the one move.

I was only talking with my wife last evening, and saying we are in the wrong phase of the buying curve, we ought to be mid life (LCI) when most issues are debugged and the improvements added.

I worked with a fellow engineer who would never buy a new model, was very much of the mind, the time to buy was just before a model went out of production, usually at best for quality and reliability.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0