04-13-2021, 07:01 PM   #54
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabacrOne View Post
BMW Customer Relations told me to talk to the dealer to see if my car is eligible for the 4G TCU/Combox retrofit.

I took my car into the dealer today for some maintenance and also asked if it is possible to retrofit the 4G TCU/Combox to keep remote services. It is possible, but was given an outrageous price of $1175 to do this!

I was under the impression that BMW would be supporting a free or highly subsidized retrofit, but at that price, there are so many other things I'd rather do than to spend that much just to keep RTTI and some other remote services. I believe in the 2G -> 3G change a few years ago, owners were given a choice of the upgrade for free or a gift card. Doesn't seem like this is what they're going to do this time...

I'll update this post with a part number for the TCU if they can give me one. I believe it should be 84102447928 according to RealOEM but will confirm.
Interesting. The lady I talked to said BMW were "looking into their options" on how to proceed. The lady at BMW Assist was about as noncommittal as one could be, offering little hope of remedy!

On our 2012 I took the upgrade to 3g; and now that will be done.

:edit:
That p/n seems to be around ~$425...
Appreciate 0