darrko
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5 Comp. Ed.

Garage List
2016 BMW M5  [0.00]
"Transmission fault" - stumped!

The inevitable has happened. This morning while driving to work I could sense a slight disturbance in the Force. Ok, that was just my inner Obi-Wan. The transmission was jerky, and slightly off especially what I guess to be the up-shift from the 4th to the 5th, or could also have been the 3rd to the 4th. Around this mark the engine would sputter, the transmission would give a big jerk....a bit like when the engine is "missing". After doing this once or twice the console gave me a "transmission fault" and the usual "drive moderately to your destination" and the engine became sluggish and would not go beyond a certain speed. I immediately pulled over and turned everything off. After a few minutes I restarted the car and drove for a bit, keeping the speed within 50 km/h and it felt almost normal but still lightly off. I then tried to speed up and the same thing happened, big jerk, sputter and error message.

I then proceeded to my office driving in that state and got in touch with my dealer. They asked me to send the car (not even a month, 750 km only). I had the car sent to them, the guy who took it later told me he didn't notice anything wrong. The dealer later told me they also could not find anything wrong with the car, but they did detect that there had been an error thrown. They drove it around and even took it to 140 km/h but nothing was wrong. They have decided to put up a case with the regional BMW HQ which is apparently BMW Middle East.

I picked up the car later in the evening and they asked me to get in touch whenever this happened again and were quite apologetic. On the drive back home the error never showed up but the transmission is definitely f****ed up. Gone is the smooth torque and immediate response to the gas pedal. The gears are all jerky, every time I down-shift around the 3rd there is a very significant jerk, the same when speeding up. I don't get how any decent driver could miss the jerks, especially BMW trained technicians.

So....is it all in my head? Is it possible for something to be wrong with the transmission and the system doesn't detect it? Anyone else had this issue? The funny thing is that I drove the car just 1 day ago and it was perfect, and today this. Why BMW.......why!?!?!
2020 Porsche 911 Carrera S (retired)
2023 X5 xDrive45e
Appreciate 0