View Single Post
      09-28-2012, 11:18 AM   #5
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

There is nothing like getting the new car, particularly when you have added options to make it as you want it. Great to drive away in the "new car". I've bought several new cars myself, and had new company cars, which did feel better, as I wasn't paying the direct bill. But new cars are the biggest money pits, even if we can afford to purchase them. It never sits well with me, as I know it is more pence per mile, for virtually the same car as a nearly new one. Warranty, no issues with additional running cost all sit well, and running a car in, has its attraction.

When I bought the used E39 540i touring it was loaded to virtually the specification I'd have specified new, so very pleased the original owner had paid the depreciation bill. In my case, at over £1 a mile over its mileage.

When buying the E91 330d I did try to get a nearly new example, but they were so rare back in 2006 that only one had the right sort of specification, but the dealer wouldn't move on price. After doing the math a new car worked out virtually as cheap, a 5% discount, cheaper finance, full 3-years in warranty, etc. Plus a new car was to the exact specification I was after. All for about £10 a month more over 3-years.

I had it on a lease purchase deal and intended to trade at 3-years. Or if times were different (as they were in 2009 with car prices) I could buy it and run it on if I so desired.

Prices and finance deals were stupid in 2009, so I bought it, rather than pay virtually £100 a month more for a repeat of the same car, mine had only 35k miles on the clock, so more years of use and an amortising of the depreciation costs over a longer period. I've run it on, until details of the new F30/31 cars was fully understood. But when I priced up a F31 touring I was well above £40k for a 328i 4-cylinder BMW.

So back to thinking 'nearly used', as around £45k for a decent new 3-series touring is madness in my mind. Also, when will decent F31 cars be in the market place? Examples with the sort of specification I'd really want as a used car? These latest cars are going to be all over the place (in my view) with the lines theme, and limited trim options across the lines at that.

I've also tried 5-series cars and the real reason for not going back to the five was a bigger car and the cost issue, buying not running. I bulk at £55k plus for a decent specced motor. So I've had my eye on the BMW used site on a regular basis, watching the market. When the 535i I'd been watching for several months came forward at a decent price, I jumped. It is a superb spec', nothing missing from my wish list, in fact better than I could have hoped for. OK, not my first choice of colour, but being brave has got me a car that looks class, and 'is' class, to look at and to drive.

To get virtually all the bells and whistles for money that wouldn't buy a decent specced new 3-series, puts a smile on the face. The best bit is that first year depreciation, which is the killer for running expensive cars, was not my problem. Depreciation over the mileage was about £4 per mile.

Plus to me the car is like a new car, looks mint, drive like a new car. It is so much more car for the money than I'd have specified, makes the money pit feel far less of a waste.

BMW 535i M-sport Touring Build Specification
Sophisto Grey II
Interior: Cinnamon Brown Dakota leather
Year: July 2011 Less than 6,000 miles

Additional equipment:
Adaptive Drive
Comfort Access
DAB digital radio
Elec Fr Seats + Driver Memory
Heated front seats
Ext. mirrors - folding. auto dimming
Fineline Anthracite wood
Head-up Display
Internet
Loudspeaker system - BMW Business
Media package - BMW Professional
Mobile application preparation
Panoramic glass sunroof
Reversing Assist camera
Roof rails. black
Speed limit display
Sport automatic transmission
Sun protection glass
Surround-view
Tailgate operation. automatic
Telephone USB audio interface
Visibility package

The above.... or an F31 3-series 328i touring with less kit and a much bigger purchase price. I know what makes me feel right 'in the mind' and in the driver's seat.

HighlandPete

Last edited by HighlandPete; 09-28-2012 at 11:23 AM..
Appreciate 0