01-09-2012, 02:57 AM   #4
ipso_facto
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d M Sport (Sports Auto)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
That's encouraging to hear; I have 12k miles on my F10 with the same wheels/tyres and they're looking virtually new with no sign of uneven wear. As a matter of interest what pressures do you run? I set mine to 30/32psi front/rear.
I feel very ignorant in saying this Jon, but at least I'm honest: I have never checked the pressures.

I am careful with regards to keeping the car clean and I'm fastidious with regards to servicing, but tyre pressure is not something I pay great care to. I have always judged this by just looking at the tyres and seeing how the car sits. I feel very ignorant now though and feel that I need to be more attentive to this area. I'll invest in a digital tyre pressure gauge this week. Can you recommend one?

Of my now 19k miles, I have calculated that approximately 10 to 12k of these have been on motorway or dual carriage way. I'm attributing this fact, in large part, to the longevity of the tyres.

Please correct me if I'm wrong (anyone), but a lot of tyre wear comes from the sideways movement of the tyres, associated with "normal" roads, as opposed to faster (and fundamentally straight) motorway / freeway driving?
Appreciate 0