08-30-2011, 04:09 PM   #96
AidenL
Driving !
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 530e XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Personally I think you may have to go along with Technical if they are involved. From experience (with a V8 4.4 engine failure) if they do lead a major failure, they will sort it, but you have to go along with them. It may be a two stage repair, if they have got it wrong on the gearbox itself.

I know VW also take a similar stance when major failures occur. We had an auto which had the gearbox control module replaced, ahead of the actual gearbox. Second gearbox failure, they went straight for the gearbox, as they now knew which part was the issue. Could be the same with BMW, if you are the first to have this kind of failure.

HighlandPete
Thanks Pete.

I know I can't take on the Goliath that is BMW, I'm on a loser straight away, but I can't say I'm feeling happy to be an owner right now.

Wonder has the jerk led to the failure?

Also, from reading around the net, the autos are supposed to be sealed for life. The very fact that they had to replace transmission oil, suggests to me that the limp home on Saturday night must have vapourised a lot of oil while I was in transit - that surely has to mean there was serious mechanical stress in the gearbox?

Any thoughts?

Btw, did I know you and your other half on M2.com?