View Single Post
      08-09-2014, 03:07 PM   #1
patch
Rep
Drives: M550D xDrive

BMW ZF 8 speed gearbox transmission unlock

Hello guys!

I'm going to have the tires of my m550d switched this week.
A friend of mine suggested me a tire shop where he goes with his Aston Rapide S, so it's got to be trustworthy. I'm going there because I'll get the tires 400€ Cheaper than at the dealer (Dunlop Sp Sport maxx gt runflat)

I'm having a problem though. They'll need to spin the wheels in order to change tires / align wheels, so the transmission can't be in park; however, as soon as you switch the engine off, the transmission switches to Park automatically.

I've read that in the 6 speed gearbox there's a mechanical switch beneath the cup holder to unlock the park mechanism, however with the 8 speed zf gearbox there's a pattern to enter with the gear lever.

The problem is, from what I've read, using that pattern will give you 15 minutes of "Neutral" with engine off only, as the gearbox will re engange Park after 15 minutes.

I need help, how can I keep my transmission in Neutral while having the engine off?
I know I can keep the ignition on too, but won't it time out and eventually shut off the ignition, making the transmission re engage Park?

Thank you and sorry for the long text!