darrko
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5 Comp. Ed.

Garage List
2016 BMW M5  [0.00]
Finally got my 520d!

In one word: awesomeandfantasticandsimplyeverythingIwanted!

Long version:
I received the car yesterday and have driven it for a total of about 100km so far, which includes my commute from work to home and then on a few errands close by. So far, I am loving it! I was apprehensive about the diesel engine when I was placing my order especially since there was no test-drive involved and personally it was a huge leap of faith. I am happy to report that it drives like a dream! Which makes me wonder what the 535i or even the 550i must feel like....lucky guys all of you who drive them. The engine is extremely responsive, I guess the 8-sp sports auto gearbox has a huge contribution in that. It delivers just the right amount of torque when required, which happens to be just the right amount suited to my driving style: mostly cruising and occasionally revving up. All done almost instantly, no questions asked. Just pure driving pleasure.

On another note, I do not find the Auto Start/stop intrusive at all. The engine comes back to life very quickly upon nudging the gas pedal and is hardly a distraction. Ofc, just switching it off yields the best driving experience.

The comfort seats are amazing! The oyster/black combination is an instant hit with everyone who has seen the car so far. Sophisto Grey too is just the best color I could have imagined, looks awesome both at daytime and night especially with the Performance Grilles in glossy black the car turns into an aggressive beast.

The surround view camera is just awesome! It is a huge help at parking lots and malls and frankly I think its a no-brainer with a car this big: the hood is ginormous! I am pretty sure a small car can fit inside it. From inside, I am taking my time coming to terms with the huge cockpit. The car is so damn wide, its like a room!

I am still on the learning curve, found the iPod support a bit sketchy with tracks jumping between playlists, a song currently playing displaying album art which is unrelated and coming to terms with the Comfort and Sport driving modes. The stock xenons are very yellow and definitely need the Osram CBI replacement. Overall though, I couldn't be happier.

Pictures soon, just wanted to share this with you all. I've asked a LOT of questions on this forum and its only through your helpful responses that I was able to make some smart choices in options while configuring the car. You guys are the best!

Update:
Pictures added to the Photo/Video forum (link)
2020 Porsche 911 Carrera S (retired)
2023 X5 xDrive45e

Last edited by darrko; 05-07-2012 at 01:38 AM..
Appreciate 0