View Single Post
      03-27-2016, 09:53 PM   #1
MattPro
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 550iX, '91 E30

N63 Alpina Turbos Installed

Finally got around to installing my rebuilt Alpina turbos this weekend. Just wanted to share the experience in case anyone else decides to go this route.

I bought the turbos for $500 from an E30 forum, in "working when pulled" condition from someone at a dealership. After receiving the turbos, I noticed that one had very bad axial shaft play (I measured .005"). I contacted 5 companies that rebuilt turbos and only one was up to the task, Pure turbos. I paid a little over $1000 for the rebuild. I was very happy with their work besides the fact they forgot to mail them back to me on time, and then 2-3 weeks later when I emailed asking the status they never responded and just put them in the mail.

My parts list from BMW for the install:
(sorry, lost the description for what they are, but they are all the crush washers/gaskets you would need)
07119963201 x8
11428624158 x2
07119963072 x4
11657577018 x2
11627576991 x2

After receiving:
View post on imgur.com

I started the install at 12:30 in a friend's garage. Airboxes removed:
View post on imgur.com

Stock turbos with heat shields removed:
View post on imgur.com

Stock intake:
View post on imgur.com

Turbos removed:
View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

Surprisingly, my old turbos with 63k on the clock had extremely minimal shaft play. I'm impressed.

Old vs new:
View post on imgur.com

Visually, they're exactly the same from the housings. If you look at the compressor wheel you can see they have an obviously different design.

New turbos installed:
View post on imgur.com

Cranked the car in small intervals without starting to prime the turbos then fired her up. Ran perfect from the start and no issues.

After a test drive...I'm moderately disappointed. I can feel an improvement on the low end, in comfort mode the torque is hitting a lot earlier than I normally would expect it to. On the high end...I don't feel much of a change. I'm on the basic BMS S2 settings still, and have stock downpipes, so I feel like if I turn up the boost/aggressiveness I would notice it more. I do think these would make a huge difference on a TU where a flash tune would be possible. Also, it's worth noting that I was planning on installing an intake so I left the airboxes open essentially as a hot air intake. With the intakes installed I may notice a much bigger difference.

Overall, the install wasn't that difficult, but a lot of the time is spent cursing and trying to access the bottom v-bands and oil drain lines. I was able to finish in about 5-6 hours.

If you're thinking about going this route and have any questions let me know!

2013 F10 550iX Carbon Black/MSport
BMW Fault Code DB
Appreciate 0