View Single Post
      03-08-2013, 10:16 AM   #16
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

A lot of issues being raised here, cost of tyres, wear rates, wheel sizes, non run-flats, ride quality and winter options.

I suppose it all depends on where our priorities are and what compromises we are willing to make. I've been through all of this since BMW moved to RFTs. My E39 was a superb package (in all ways) on 17" wheels, balance of costs, wear rates, superb ride, full size spare wheel. E91 changed all that, thinking through the implications of what wheels, suspension, spare wheel options, particularly on non run-flats, etc., etc., made owning a BMW a bit more complex, with too much compromise.

This time around, with the F10/11, I was determined to try and keep with RFTs, for the obvious reasons, but still get a decent ride and balance of all the other compromises.

My final decision, keep to RFTs, but to get the best from the chassis, have Adaptive Drive, 18" wheels (square setup) to optimise ride quality on poor roads, help keep tyre costs in check, plus 17" winter wheels for ride quality in winter and keep to sensible costs. Add tyre insurance for all 8 wheels, up to 5 claims. Replacement on a puncture, so one pucture or tyre failure will cover the insurance cost. Plus I can run-on-flat if necessary without feeling I need to try and salvage the tyre. I do carry a compressor, so if a slow puncture can extend the range a bit (if appropriate) to get to a tyre shop or home.

My 18" summer wheels (Continental Sport Contact 3 SSR) are showing just over 5mm tread depth, after 8k miles, so changing at around 3mm will mean 15k miles is looking to be top mileage. That is not driving hard, just normal rural use and some pretty coarse surfaces. Winter wheels, not long enough to have any meaningful data.

At present, getting all I set out to achieve, hopefully that will continue.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0