10-07-2011, 01:45 PM   #31
sieben1973
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 "dark grey" 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyte3k View Post
I understand what you're saying, and I plan on getting a 335 next time around when the new coupes launch because that's what I prefer, but I think wanting a 6 cylinder because it's a 6-cylinder isn't a good enough argument for BMW to ignore the probably larger number of folks who buy BMWs and don't care about what's under the hood.

I'm not saying that BMW should simply forget about the performance of their cars to appeal to the general public, but what I am saying is that we enthusiasts should not write off everything that doesn't fit in with the status quo of performance. If 20 years from now a 3-cylinder engine can produce the torque, power, performance of a 12cylinder, with 1/4 the weight and 10x the fuel economy, is it a bad thing? (Ignoring the weak sounding motor of course lol)

It's inevitable. Smartphones, tablets, computers, etc become more efficient at doing more than the previous version, so it is simply foolish to think that automobiles (which involve more technology than many other products we interact with) would be immune to this.

You are probably right, but i think BMW should offer both engines and faze the one out slowly.
Choice is GOOD
If i wanted an efficient 4 cylinder i would want 520d (which i can not buy in Canada)
And Four you catch the man
Appreciate 0