05-28-2009, 05:34 PM   #39
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
Thanks. Anyway, I'm not so sure about that. N55 has the same output and yet provides better fuel consumption. So I think the N55 has to be in every high volume model (for example 3 and 5 series). On the other hand, low volume models like Z4 still could use the N54. Don't you agree?

Best regards,
south
What people are thinking about here is the N54 in current form 300/300....

I will use the example of the DCT transmission in non ///M cars. In the EU and elsewhere the 335 in E92/93 guise can be ordered with it- in the US this still does not exist. Reason: needed a new model in the US to launch it in (standard BMWNA fare). Note: the N55 is not launching in the US with the 5er GT and will not be part of that models offering initially (going to be launched in another model).

In the EU there is the N54 in the 740i that produces more power than the one in the E9X (etc.) This motor is still not in the US BUT will be offered as part of the Power Kit for the N54- what this means is that BMW had to go through the whole process of homologation for that version of the N54 in other N54 powered models- so one can expect (and what my sources have been saying for some time) that the N54 will see an up-tune before its demise.

There are other motors being developed as well and that will begin appearing with LCIs and new models.... the N52 may be the first to go.

I will explain more when I can