04-26-2012, 02:13 PM   #6
bimmerkrlox
Rep
Drives: BMW 520i 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by dav_lph View Post
If you have Xenon headlight, the inner circle is for the Flashlight (when your pull the light stalk). While the xenon, outside circle, will be used for the high beam (when you push the light stalk).

If its Adaptive Xenon, then the inner circle light is for cornering light. Both flashlight and high beam is by the xenon.
dav_lph is indeed correct.

On cars with adaptive xenons, whilst the inner units point forwards, the lens is profiled to direct the light sideways and thus provide the cornering function (and avoids the messiness of a single foglight from coming on as per how many other manufacturers do the cornering function)

I guess that with "normal" xenons, the extra high beam flashers (i.e. the inner units) are added as this will likely feature routine filament bulbs and can thus reach full brightness quickly for when just a flash is needed.

Seems a bit puzzling then that the engineers are happy with the light up times of the outer units for cars with adaptive xenons when a quick flash is needed.

Nonetheless, the adaptive xenons on the F10/F11 are surely amongst the very best headlights on the road at the moment.
Thank you very much guys, I have a better idea of what they are, I will check how they work when arrive home. I have standard xenon, I'm from Mexico!
Appreciate 0