Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5 Comp. Ed.

Garage List
2016 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
This post was funny since the answer is actually in the op's second paragraph.

Guys, it sounds like he is jamming the water spray into the bowels of his exhaust every week.

Where do you think all that water is going to go? At least the residual water will turn into the steam and thus the vapor he complains about.

Don't spray water into the exhaust!
Hey Sherlock, I don't see where you got the word "jamming the water spray into the bowels of his exhaust" from my post as I simply stated ".... the water that enters the exhaust always comes out black." I don't suppose it is impossible to wash the car with a pressure washer and not have any water entering the exhaust. The water that does enter is actually deflected off the exhaust tips or the occasional off-spray and not purposely "jammed" down the exhaust as you seem to deduce from the evidence.

The residual water turning to steam would make sense if the smoke appeared right after me washing the car. In fact, I wash the car Sunday evening and do not drive it till Monday morning. The next wash is next Sunday so its hardly likely that the water that accidentally enters the exhaust is so much in volume or so resistant to the weather that it manages to stay inside and produce steam throughout the week in tropical climate.

The only informative bit in your post is the last line so thank you for your advice. I was a bit unclear about how exactly one should proceed with washing the exhaust from the inside and have been cautious about it already. I would like someone to confirm if it is recommended to take extra measures like blocking the exhaust opening while the car is being washed.
2020 Porsche 911 Carrera S (retired)
2023 X5 xDrive45e
Appreciate 0