View Single Post
      04-17-2017, 10:54 AM   #6
mikekilpatrick
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW F10 550 Xdrive Msport

Yes, I had to pull the splash guards, remove double sided tape (thank you Goo Be Gone), clean everything with alcohol and new double sided tape. The side skirts are held on strictly by 3M industrial grade double sided tape. They line up right with the OEM skirts on the Msport, so there is no lowering of the car so to speak.

I will take some more ground level pics and post this week.

Hardest part is getting the body line right. What I did was use a Contractors white crayon marker (Home Depot/Lowes) and a 3 foot level, to mark the straight and sharp 5-10 degree angle along the factory side skirt (Back to front). You need the sun and a flashlight to mark that body line PERFECTLY from rear to front.

Once line is drawn, I went back and held the CF skirt in place with Painting tape and retraced line with CF skirt as template to ensure my level line was right.

Then, use two people, or hold the front of the CG skirt in place with painters tape so it is at least CLOSE to the level line you do with white Crayon marker. Remove 2-3 inches of backing on double sided tape, put the CF skirt JUST below marked line, press it in place to hold, remove 2-3 inches more tape backing, Press in place, repeat, repeat, repeat until done at front.

There is SOME flexibility in the CF skirt, so you can flex it a little bit, if you start going off course on your alignment. Trick is to make sure you dont PRESS HARD on the double sided tape until you are SURE you are right on the line the way you want it.

Now, the hard part is doing the SECOND side as you want this to be within a half a millimeter or less of body line, to match the first side.

I used the "M" in the Msport sticker on car and measured it on first side of 3 mm from bottom of "M" to white crayon line. After I marked the body line on second side, I test fit the CF skirt to see where my white marking would line up the CF Skirt in relation to the "M". You can then follow your white line Exactly, a little above or a little below, the whole length of car to make sure your are dead on.

6 hours first side, 3 hours second side, but Mudflap removal and modding takes a good hour plus to get done as it is Dremel, Test fit, Dremel, test fit, etc etc. If you take too much off, you just bought new splash guards.... lol

When done, you go back with Rubbing alcohol and erase any white lines still showing.
Appreciate 0