10-03-2009, 01:50 PM   #6
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhn2000 View Post
I can't wait to see the sales figures for this GT... you have got to be kidding me. Such a small niche that will want this car.. is it really worth all the work & RnD...
I think the key thing is the lack of R&D; they leveraged the 7er platform / fittings & controls (but not those nifty rear door panels - they rock); the 5er nose etc. Existing engines.

I'm not ready for this car today - but in 20 years' time it may be the perfect car. Roomy / comfy / multi-rear functionality. Think this is a vehicle that may resonate w/ retiring Boomers (golfing, anyone?) as being easier to get in to than a std sedan, more upright seating; and no need for the height of an SUV. With a Sports pkg should handle better w/ lower center of gravity.

If you never go off-road, which makes more sense: something like this (or a Touring) or an X5?

IMO the most unnecessary product in BMW's product line is the X6 (don't get me started on the X6 M!), I mean, a SUV (sorry, SAV ) + coupe roofline = compromised internal packaging for a large vehicle. I have been in dealers and heard prospective buyers talk and 'pose value' is a big reason this car exists.

The video was good: w/ the smattering of English + some German I know I was able to follow a fair bit of it, but my god, Dutch is guttural!

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0