View Single Post
      08-22-2014, 10:05 PM   #24
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

I have had many BMW's. The six cylinder engines are simply sublime, and combined with the legendary handling and controlled ride "define" the BMW experience.

My dealership gives 328xi's as service loaner cars. The engine, while certainly fast enough, is horrible. The sound and overall buzz box personality is just not acceptable, and completely ruins the BMW experience.

Similarly, I have had eight cylinder 5 series models that, while fast, were not as sweet and balanced as their six cylinder counterparts.

if you are going to buy a BMW, ANY BMW, and want the "real deal" you MUST start with a SIX cylinder engine.... gas or diesel, turbo or not. Further, you MUST pay for the dynamic handling on any late model BMW. yep, its $3500.... but it completely transforms the soft ride of todays new bimmers and gives you a perfectly controlled and damped ride.

The current 328i 3 series possesses NONE of the attributes that built the storied BMW reputation. If you only have that much money to spend, better off buying an older preowned 6 cylinder car (all around FAR superior) or moving away from BMW to other brands.
Appreciate 0