View Single Post
      10-03-2014, 04:46 PM   #1
rmk83
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d F11 2014 (B47)

Hardwiring Dashcam - 2014 F11 LCI

I've seen a few threads here and elsewhere regarding radar detectors, so a dashcam should be no different in theory but I was hoping to do it in a reversible way and am very keen to avoid tapping any of the wiring that goes to the HBA camera (past experience would suggest that if I tapped into that and the adaptive lighting ever developed a fault, the last thing I want to do is give them an excuse not to honour the warranty )

Ideally I'd like to connect to the fusebox in the glove box with a removable 'add-a-fuse' but it doesn't seem easy (possible!?) to route a cable to this. This is how I did our VW golf, but the fusebox is infinitely easier to access!

I've seen a product called 'MirrorTap' but it seems to only be available in the US - is this as simple as it looks (a wire soldered to a thin metal pin?) and, if so, does anyone know which wires that run to the mirror should be tapped ? Even better, does anyone have a diagram that shows the full pinout of these connectors (see attached)?

Alternatively, is there a connector that could be easily tapped in a similar manner behind the overhead centre console panel ?

As for hiding the camera itself I'm using a Mobius camera that's been adapted a little - will post photos of the installation (which i'm rather pleased with) once I can figure out how to get power to it!

Again, I really want to avoid *cutting* into any cables - otherwise it'd be really easy - the car is part of a finance agreement which requires it is returned to original condition and I don't want to give BMW an excuse not to honour warranties in the future.

Any advice anyone can offer would be much appreciated

Appreciate 0