View Single Post
      12-28-2012, 11:32 AM   #9
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Update:-
I called in at the dealer and spoke with the senior technician who told me that there was nothing to worry about and that my indicated level sitting halfway between min and max represented a consumption of ½ a litre in 3.3k miles, which is perfectly acceptable.
He said that I could wait for the warning, but agreed that, as I was embarking on a long trip, it wouldn't hurt to add some oil before departure.
So, erring on the side of caution, I added a ¼ litre, went for a 10 mile drive and checked the level, only to find there was no difference. I repeated the process and, once again, the level hadn't moved - it was still showing halfway between min and max.
With a total of ½ a litre added I decided to leave it alone and monitor it over the coming days. Every time I stopped on level ground I checked it and nothing happened until I'd covered about 200 miles, at which point it suddenly jumped to max and that's where it's been since.
The technician totally agrees with my views on BMW ditching the traditional dip-stick and this recent episode doesn't exactly inspire me with confidence in the system.
Appreciate 0