01-12-2012, 08:07 PM   #1
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Talking 2012 CIC - High NAV Upgrade via DVD

My 10/10 build has NAV version "112091.0.10 – Road Map North America Premium".

Wanting to upgrade to the just released 2012 Version, I was informed by Momentum BMW West here in Houston, and Tischer BMW (GetBMWParts.com), and the maker, Tele Atlas, that no 2012 NAV DVD’s exist, except for CCC based systems, and that the ONLY way to upgrade is through a Dealer NAV Software Update, which my dealer quoted $385 to do. I took a chance anyway and ordered though my dealer P/N 01990037287, "DVD ROAD MAP NORTH A", which has no version specified, hoping it would be the 2012 update. They called today to let me know that it came in, and when I asked what version it was, I was told 2011.

I thought about not even picking it up since I was only interested in 2012, but for $7, I figured I would pick it up instead of sticking the dealer with it and pissing them off. Lo and behold, the package actually contained 6 discs in a stack, with 3 DVD’s for 2011 on top, and 3 more for 2012 on the bottom.

Being the cynic I am, I presume that their denial of the upgrade DVD’s existence is nothing short of a money grab considering my dealer wants $385 for the NAV Software Update, not to mention my car for a full day, which puts $185 in the pocket of Tele Atlas for the license (Dealer's cost for the FSC Code), and $200 in the dealer’s pocket for the upgrade installation.

So, I'm half way to my 2012 upgrade now that I have the "nonexistent" DVD's, and I just need an FSC Code. My dealer will sell the FSC code for $229, which with the $7 I paid for the actual DVD's is still $149 less than $385 Dealer NAV Software Update, although I am now working on getting the FSC code for still much less than that.

When your told you can't upgrade your CIC based NAV system via DVD, and they don't even want to order it, you can show them this:
Attached Images

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0