07-29-2013, 12:10 PM   #5
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
Not sure if KW makes a kit for the 550 xDrive yet, but they do have them for the RWD.
IMO this is the kind of thing the OP really wants to know. He isn't asking whether he needs AWD or not - he already knows that (no, he does not, and I agree since he uses winter tires).

I believe he wants to know about less tangible things that I've read on the Internet such as:
  • X-Drive has hydraulic steering but RWD has electric. In theory people say the electric is way "worse" (and hydraulic is already bad) however the 2013 MSport models are highly praised compared to older cars. I still haven't unraveled this contradiction in my limited research.
  • No one makes any third party suspension options for the X-Drive models, RWD only
  • AWD models always have higher ride height, and no lowering even when selecting the M-Sport package
  • The AWD front suspension geometry and construction may further deaden steering because it is beefed up to handle driveline torque like a FWD car
  • potential additional complication for upgraded sway bars when dealing with AWD front ends.
  • Any number of other things that are RWD-only or AWD-only
Appreciate 0