07-31-2013, 07:15 AM   #7
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoek View Post
While it is true that the factory M-Sport package on the xDrive does not lower the ride height, it is not true that there are no 3rd party suspension options. My 2013 550i xDrive has the ACS springs and sits at the same height a 550i RWD + ACS springs would sit at. The ACS springs lower around 1", the Dinan springs around .5", and H&K around 1.5". The M-Sport RWD is about .5" lower than the M-Sport xDrive (about the same drop as Dinan).

One reason I chose xDrive over RWD is if you plan to go with a tune such as Dinan Stage 2+, you pretty much need their limited slip differential to control all the torque. With xDrive, the wheels rarely break free and you realize the full power range of the engine.
Well, I'd say that it's fair to say that 3rd party options are very limited on X-Drive models. For example I've been looking into some things and the Dinan page is nearly blank for a 535iX (a car I may be acquiring). If I had a 335i w/N55 there would be tons of tuning options, but not an N55 535i - apparently "everyone" who has an F10 has a 550. KW also says they'll never release coilovers for X-Drive. Wander by pages for Koni, Bilstein, etc... and there are usually lots of 535i options, but not so for iX.

I would like to get to true factory sport package ride height and handling (OE look, not slammed) on this 535iX and ACS might be the only option spring-wise, but I'd still have to find some stiffer dampers to match. It looks like for sways M5 front and F07 GT rear will work on an X-drive, though they aren't a matched set and may induce more understeer bias than if they were matched.
Appreciate 0