View Single Post
      08-15-2010, 12:23 PM   #44
Mr. Magic
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 E46/330 and 2011 F10/535i

Changed my oil yesterday at 1300 miles. Hadn't changed oil in 20 years, and without this detailed write-up, I would not have attempted it. Thanks very much for the step-by-step guide with photos. Some comments from my experience:

I noticed plug washer I pulled off seems to be aluminum instead of copper that I put back on. Fooled me for second since I was expecting a copper washer and the aluminum washer - which blended in with the engine bottom - was still stuck after oil drain and had to be removed with the help of a screwdriver.

The draining was a little messier than I anticipated with the bottom plug. I thought I'd lower the car only after awhile when it started to drip. But, as the oil draining slows down, it starts to adhere to the bottom of the engine and starts going toward the back of the car and then drips onto the bottom cover shield making a mess. It took some time to clean out. I should have lowered it right away after draining started to keep it dripping straight down as it slowed.

The most important step - after the jack stand safety backup - is the adult beverage at end. Need to think about some tangible short term reward for yourself. Up here in N. Calif., it tends to be a good glass of wine.

Cheers!