gorban
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F11 520xdAT, E87 120dM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegarho View Post
Hi Folks

I'm just about to order a 520d Auto with VDC. 3 options that I'd like some advice on:

Auto transmission - normal vs sport. The dealer told me that for the smaller 520 engine, the sport transmission doesn't add any value, and just reduces mpg - it's only useful for the bigger engines. Your thoughts/experiences?

Sports Steering Wheel - other than a bit of chrome, does this add anything to the experience (assuming it's a stand-alone option and not as part of the sport auto transmission)?

Reversing Assist Camera - I've never had this before but then again, I'm used to driving a 330 Convertible with M sport suspension that's fairly easy to park- is this option worth it, or a "nice-to-have" as the car has parking sensors anyway?

All opinions appreciated ...
I have an F11 520d Touring with sports automatic and VDC on order. I went with the sports automatic to get the paddles. That way I can easily downshift a couple of gears if I want some extra power when passing. As opposed to using the kick-down which will be a little to much in some cases. I would figure that the 520d could actually benefit more from this compared to the larger engines where down-shifting might not be necessary in these circumstances due to more torque on low revs.

The sports steering wheel is slightly smaller and thicker than the standard wheel. It also has thumb grips. I went for the M sports steering wheel because it's even thicker.

I didn't order the reverse camera. Having seen it in action I think I should have ordered it. It even displays the tow hitch if you have one.