View Single Post
      02-15-2013, 05:38 PM   #17
MPowerInTulsa
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
Mixing and matching is fine as long as it flows. I've always done this with all of my cars to create a more unique combination.

One thing to keep in mind with Carbon Fiber parts that have a big flat surface (e.g. Hood, trunk, roof etc..) is that unless its ultra high quality it will look a bit wavy when you look at it from an angle. i would say 99% of all carbon hoods that ive seen is like this. It doesn't bother some but for me i would not do it on a 70K car. You can still see it after you painted it unless the body shop does some extensive prep work on it. Basically they need to add a skim coat over the entire surface, sand and then primer it to make it all even again.

Alan

Very good information Alan. I appreciate everyone's feedback! My 550 is stock at the moment, but I plan full DINAN upgrades to push it beyond the M5, so while it's not a track car and never will be, hood vents do allow heat to escape, and any weight reduction on this 4400lb car can't hurt. I'll be sure and pay a little extra if necessary to get the prep work done correctly.
Appreciate 0