10-14-2013, 11:15 AM   #17
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
I feel the opposite and I had both.

The LCI rear lights looks almost the same so no difference there. Still full LED.

The fronts while the pre lci does have led turn signals the actual lights of the LCI looks nicer to me. Don't even talk about the LED headlights because those look like a work of art when you see them up close.

That said to me the biggest improvement with the LCI over the old one is

Side bolsters back - Sounds like something simple but these really make the car feel so much more sporty since it hugs you in the seat.

Improved steering and handling - You need to go test drive both to really see if you notice the difference. I do and I love the way the LCI feels.

Touchpad for the idrive - Big benefit if you use the navigation feature a lot to enter in addresses. Otherwise its just a cool feature anyone could live without.

That said it really comes down to the price difference. If it was $200 more per month for the LCI then I would go with the 13. You can look at it like a 14 535 or a 13 550.....i would go with the 550.

Alan
Thanks Alan,

As I may have written, while I like the performance of the 550 XDrive, I don't think I'd be able to exploit its capability in the city of 750,000 I live in. We are beset by photo radar, red light camera speed radar, school zone radar and regular police on the highways. 12 mph over on the highway nets a $375.00 fine and 2 demerits. OK, I know your going to say I should just get a bicycle.

As to LCI vs non LCI, I'd like better steering feel if I could get it, but building a new car with similar options means a cost increase of about $8,000 - $10,000 or about $300 or so on a lease. If I grab a lightly optioned M Sport without HUD, I can be out the door before taxes for $62,000 vs $75,000 for the same car LCI.

Given that for some members of our family, expensive cars aren't a priority, I like to exercise some degree of restraint. I recently drove a 2013 528 X Drive my colleague had for a service loaner for 3 days. It didn't exhibit any wandering or pull to the right the earlier cars exhibited, but it did feel a bit artificial compared to my last BMW (1999 540i). Having said that, the only car with electric steering I have driven that felt perfect was a new 911 (991 series).

I think I can alive with the pre LCI steering (I don't hear too many people on the forum complaining about it) and while the car I am likely to find doesn't have all of the toys I would pick if money was no object (ACC, Tech, Nigh-time Driver Assist), that car would sticker in Canada for $85,000 so maybe I'm better to avoid the temptation.
Appreciate 0