View Single Post
      10-16-2016, 04:34 PM   #1
phennighausen
Private
Rep
Drives: Porsche Boxster, BMW E90 328i

Angry Alignment Troubles on 535i xDrive

Hi All!

So about two weeks ago I brought my 2015 535i xDrive in for a service at my nearby BMW dealer. They recommended I do an alignment as one of the tires was feathering slightly. I agreed to this since the car had about 15k and I had noticed the tire as well. Well after a lengthy stay at the dealer (they ended up replacing the turbo, oil lines, oil pan, and gasket after they had noticed several 535i's having issues with the turbo oil lines) I got the car back and it pulled to the right and keeping it going in a straight line required constant correction and the steering wheel being held about 2-3 degrees to the left.

I immediately called my SA back who was very helpful and took the car back in and gave me a loaner. They performed a front-end alignment and marked it as fixed. Yet, the next day when I picked it up before I even got up to speed the steering was still off center and pulling to the right. I called back and once again they took it back in, gave me another car, and performed a complete four-wheel alignment and swapped tires. Then they were kind enough to deliver the car back to my house. Later that day I drove it and sure enough it was still pulling and requiring constant correction to drive in a straight line. I called back and they kindly took the car back and had me drive around with the Shop Manager who confirmed that it was indeed pulling to the right and the steering wheel was out of square. So back it went and a 4th loaner car was issued. They are going to try to swap the tires again and adjust the toe-in to see if that resolves the issue.

Here is my question, after reading on the forum at all of the similar problems owners have had resulting in many different fixes, what would likely be the culprit. I put several thousand miles on the car with it driving perfectly and tracking straight. Now after being aligned several times it cannot be brought into line. I would assume on 2015 models they would have fixed any of the steering issues that would cause "pulling" from the earlier models? Is there some suspension component that may have been damaged or faulty? I've been searching through the forums but it's hard to narrow it down to what would affect a 2015 model 535i xDrive.

Thanks,
Peter
Appreciate 0