Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
Recommended pressures as per door frame decal:

Front 245/45/18: 2.0-2.5 bar (29-36psi) light-heavy load

Rear 275/40/18: 2.2-2.7 bar (32-39psi) --------"---------

My pressures, as stated earlier: F 31psi, R 33psi, can't see anything "much lower than recommended" there.
That is interesting Jon, but must say I'm surprised BMW are running the lower front figure. Particularly on the 535d. Then it is a quite a big wheel these days, that makes a difference. My old 540i needed 35psi up front, as does my 330d, both on 45 section tyres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
I suggest that you experiment within the recommended pressure range to find the ride and handling characteristics that suit you best.
It took me a while to establish my figures and, based on the fact that, after 16k miles, the wear is perfectly even across the tread, it would appear that I wasn't far off the mark.
Like you, I usually drive alone or with one front passenger and almost always lightly loaded. However, if I want to take a long trip with an increased load I adjust the pressures accordingly with a portable 12v compressor.
Most importantly, don't forget that accurate tyre pressures can only be maintained by using a reliable good quality gauge..
What you are saying is the best way to get it right anyway. I start with the lower 'light load' recommendation and work from there, get the balance of driving quality vs. best wear rate.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0