09-22-2012, 10:10 AM   #54
Bronson
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 f10 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by caoimhinog
Further further update:

I have worked it out and this is crazy but it works. I have tested this 10 times and it is 100% repeatable.

The start of my test is a locked car and an iPhone with bluetooth on. Unlock car, start car and the iPhone connects to the car via bluetooth.

Go to messages in the iDrive and it shows "No Messages" (expected result).

Send email to iPhone. Banner pops up on iPhone but does not transfer to iDrive.
Send SMS to iPhone. Same result.
Send WhatsApp to iPhone. Same result.

HOWEVER, and this is where it gets weird ...

I go into iPhone notifications for WhatsApp and change the Show Recent Items from 10 to 5. Send another WhatsApp message to the iPhone and it works!

Send an email to the iPhone and it does not appear in iDrive. Go to iPhone notifications for Email, change Show Recent Items from 10 to 5 (or any other value), send another email to iPhone and it works!

Ditto for SMS.

It does not matter what the setting in Show Recent Items is, the act of changing it from any value to any other value is what provokes it into working.

I initially believed that this was a timing issue so I sat in the car for 15 minutes, without messing with anything in Notifications and it still didn't work. However, the instant I changed Show Recent items value for Email, SMS and WhatsApp, it burst into life.

I have spent several hours at this, going through a documented test plan and can now reproduce a working / non working system at will.

In summary, to make this work, you have to do the following:

After you start the car and the iPhone connects via bluetooth, you need to allow the system about 1 minute to become queiscent. The messages display should read "No Messages". You then need to into Settings > Notifications and into each of Messages, Email and WhatsApp (if you have it) and change the Show Recent items to any value other than the current setting. Once you do all this, it will work.

This of course is a monumental pain in the head and not the sort of thing you would do for a quick trip to the local store but would be worthy of doing before a longer journey.

Fundamentally, IOS 6 has bugs (big ones) when it comes to Bluetooth MAP. Hopefully Apple will fix it but holding ones breath is not recommended.
I concur,as it worked for me just now
Appreciate 0