05-19-2017, 08:09 PM   #66
Douggie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1, X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbb34 View Post
Depends what you're used to I guess.

Some of the older cars we're talking about in my opinion just provided better feedback to the driver. It's not necessarily just the "weight' feeling as you're turning and parking, it's kind of feeling that you are a lot more connected to the road and know where your front wheels are at any given moment. Any irregularities are immediately sent back to you back through the steering wheel, it's more involved, fun way to corner (for me at least).

I'm not sure if I'm describing this very well, but on your commute home today, when you hit some fun turns, ask yourself if you can tell exact angle your wheels are at at any given moment. Electric for me just feels a "lot more disconnected" than it did in the past, for the lack of better description, it goes where you point it, but does it differently.
Yes. It's not just the weight. A heavy steering doesn't equate to sporty, which BMW kind of got it wrong with the sports mode. Yes, the steering does become heavier when you trigger it, but that's about it. Still pretty lifeless.

What is lacking is a counter resistance from the steering wheel, where the steering "fights back". The return to center pull is very low, so when you finish making an abrupt turn, you need to assist the steering to go back to center. Whereas in some cars like the e90, you just gas it and it goes quickly back to center by itself, and you just do a controlled slip of the steering wheel under your hands. In the F10, it's a lot more work to steer the car and so it makes it feel slow and not sporty at all.
Appreciate 0