08-12-2010, 01:55 AM   #19
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzles View Post
I like the control of the manual windows .

i am getting a 550xi Msport with the new sport tranny and paddles. my friends who swear by manual tried my 335xi with sport auto and were sold.

the sport paddles give me all the control i need, were not talking about your fathers automatic transmission. if you want to drive in second gear you can do that too.
There's a lot more to control than just WHEN it shifts, are you actually being serious? For example when I would corner hard in my 328i, which had the non sport 205s all around, and needed to grab another gear mid corner (either 2nd or another gear during a really long turn) I would break my back end loose if I did it quickly but if I slip the clutch for an extremely brief moment to smooth the engagement I would have no issues with traction.

This is pointless in my 135i, however, because of the ridiculous amount of torque at any engine speed

There's also the issue of launching, there are few cars out there with a "launch control" function that does anything more than a spectacular burnout, I got good enough launching my 328i to actually out launch my buddy's B7 S4 when he would dump the clutch, I could hold off auto 335s until 3rd gear when I was stock because of the launch.

With all that said, if I were getting an F10 I'd probably get the auto, it's not like I'd be planning on racing it. An M5 would be a different story, manual for sure on that one for me.
Appreciate 0