08-27-2014, 03:47 AM   #371
chi
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Looking for 5 series M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspannu View Post
A very quick thing to try first...

1. Convert your WAV song with Chinese language ID3 tags (name, artist, album, genre etc...) to AAC format. If you have iTunes, it is fairly easy; just right-click and choose convert to .ma4 (AAC format) file.
2. Edit the .m4a song details in iTunes (Write plain english characters in the song name and some Chinese text in the Artist or Album Name).
3. Copy this to a USB stick and play it.

- Are the displays still the same or different?

This is by no means a solution, but I want to rule out the possibility of different character encoding in the ID3 tags. Both WAV and MP3 support multiple versions of ID3 tags - and different parts of BMW (iDrive & dashboard) may be picking up data from different locations.

Give this a go an let me know...
Hi GSPannu,

you're right about the tags, they weren't populated. I edited a few with the chinese artists/album names, and they appeared on the iDrive screen, including artwork. I need to find a way to re-apply the tags in a batch way for each album/artist from dbpoweramp.
FYI - this applies to WAV and FLAC files, as well as mp3s. I didn't try AACs as I prefer WAV/FLAC files for their quality.

However, the Multi Function Instrument Panel still only displays English - so chinese song names still comes in rectangles per word. Any idea on the MFIP ? Is it a coding issue?

Thanks,
Appreciate 0