01-21-2011, 02:58 PM   #74
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwinF10 View Post
I never tried an F10 with M sport suspension, so I cannot make a comparison with that config.
My frame of reference is a bunch of e90s, e92 and my e87 130i, all of which have the M sport suspension.

Also, any comparison is complex, because there are a lot of (interacting) variables to be considered. My 535 has adaptive drive, IAS, 19" rims, Pirelli winter runflats and the Schnitzer lowering set with shorter/stiffer springs.
Compared with my former BMWs, all on M sport suspension, 17" or 18" rims, winter/summer runflats and traditional steering, I would say (and I ain't no Lewis Hamilton :
[*]
  • Steering feels lighter and little bit more artificial but still sharp and precise with lots of feedback. At low speed the car feels more nimble then it's size would suggest. (I think IAS is a big factor).
  • Potholes and bumps are handled much better, even in Sport mode.
  • Straight line stability is better, the car hardly reacts to road imperfections and seems to glide on rails. My e92 and 130i could/can sometimes react unpredicatable to grooves and ruts.
  • Tyres are just as quite (even if they're 19" RFts).
  • Handling is a little less sporty, but still very good.

Overall I would say the 535 handles as good as my e92/e87, just a little less sporty. I guess you cannot deny the fact that this is big car. And yes my 130i feels more sporty than my e92. But I can still throw the 535 around corners with as much fun and confidence as I did with any rear drive BMW.
To me, the big difference is the fact that the car has much better comfort and behaves less nervous.

By the way Schnitzer told me that "the ACS lowering springs in conjunction with adaptive drive deliver a little bit better comfort than M suspension springs".

Hopefully, this comparison gives you guys some clues. However, the best advice is to test drive both configs, but beware of all the variables in the equation.
Hi Edwin, Amongst many others here I really appreciate your well informed sounding feedback.
Your description pretty much defines exactly what I want from my 535d and I'm 99% decided on 20" BMW 281 style rims (with non run-flats) and a Schnitzer lowering kit, but the ACS UK website is somewhat confusing in that they quote the 4 spring kit P/N 3130210780 is for the 535d Sedan without leveling system??? As this is not a listed option, I can only imagine they're referring to Adaptive Drive+Variable Damper Control, but you have this on your car and you've had it lowered - confusing to say the least, but I've emailed Schnitzer for clarification.
Interesting to hear that your springs were fitted by the BMW dealer; I asked my Aberdeen dealer if they could do the work, but was told that BMW UK no longer authorise the fitting of ACS parts!
Your car looks terrific, but how has the black fared with the winter? Having driven about 1,500 miles up here in Scotland since late November, I'm very glad I went for boring white. I have several really nasty stone chips, but as the primer's the same colour you have to look quite close to see them, or perhaps I need new glasses!
Appreciate 0