08-07-2012, 02:03 AM   #107
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMVI View Post
Whilst hoping for you all that you would get the new version I knew in my own mind that the old version would be fitted your cars. I would love to get to the bottom of it but know also that the ONLY way to avoid this is to sacrifice the possibly uniquely British thing of taking delivery of a car on or as near as possible one of our bi annual 'purchase year' registration plate changes.

I suspect that BMW have always released MY updates that coincide with this little vanity of ours especially relevant since the change from Aug 1st to Sep & Mar 1st but now actually either rely or dare I say manipulate the market to ensure that the factory is occupied around these times. I think the dealers may also be involved as they have build slots to fill and possibly disregard or direct away any desire of a customer to secure the latest MY with claims of lack of information especially for a fleet car where the disconnect between that wish whilst highly relevant to a private purchase (resale value) does not occur.

I remember once leaving my order for as late as possible for a sep delivery to get a new MY colour, being told of 'no information' regarding that change followed by pressure to place the order to make my required delivery date only for the car to arrive 5 weeks later and sit for 6 weeks in the shed. When I took delivery the very next day a friend received theirs which I could see (other known small changes) was the later model year. I have no proof but I think it would be fair to say I was outwitted on this occasion.

More recently I think i Got acces to a car at a better price as it may have been price held because it was the passing model year though this was never made clear to me as with being fleet this part of the transaction is not relevant. The dates meant there was a chance it was the new MY and I asked and hoped for the new version but low and behold once again it was not.

Am I frustrated about this yes, does it make me want to not buy BMW in the future no, is my car still magnificent albeit without what is if I am honest a trinket yes, do I know what I can do to fix this problem.... Ie give up my desire to take delivery on new car day, yes.

Enjoy the drive of your superb motor the car itself is still the car you wanted.
Well, that's a nice theory, wonderfully articulated but it misses the point. BMW put information out saying the new system (which is more than a "trinket") would go into July builds. As a result, I ordered a car for July build and August delivery. I don't give a monkey's stuff about model year registrations as my car is leased. I couldn't even tell you what the current year registration is.