View Single Post
      04-04-2024, 06:27 PM   #9
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: G12 B7, G07 XB7, F02 B7, 991.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikbgt View Post
....I'm thinking a 550i (or xi) while base price is more expensive, will be a more fun beater car to work on...
If you get an LCI 550, you "might" be able to reduce your N63 mechanical liabilities (and it all depends on the previous maintenance/repair quality), but I doubt you'll get away from any of the rubber and plastic deterioration liabilities.

Outside of a standard oil change, everything else requires digging in on the N63 engines...and digging in means more plastic pieces that will break. Even the metal clamps that hold the O2 sensor wires as they meander from the front of the engine to the rear, distort and break very, very easily.

You will get very efficient in removing the two air boxes, and ducting....and the beauty cover, whose plastic securing points break off rather easily and requires the whole cover to be replaced when more than 2 break off.

The N55 in the F10 is SOOO much better to work on, there is plenty of room to get to things, unlike the N63....not even 4 fingers can be slid between anything...

Remember things like the PCV/CCV fittings are plastic and LOVE to break at the most inconvenient time. Both on the N63 will run you $350 each (before tax and shipping)

Have plenty of nickels and dimes for the plastic parts on an N63 if that is what you end up getting. If the plastic parts don't use those nickels and dimes, the gas and oil consumption/leaks will....

The N55 engine might outlast your suspension......
Appreciate 1