View Single Post
      01-19-2013, 06:36 AM   #32
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

The fact that the F10 M5 is also giving less feedback, (according to the reviews) with all of the M-sport engineers working on it, along with traditional HPS, indicates EPS is not totally responsible for the change in feedback levels in the F10/11 models.

I note from BMW comment, the suspension changes were partly due to improve comfort, (I suggest also to help mask RFT characteristics) so a departure from MacPherson type suspension of previous 5-series. I suggest that may be one factor in having different roadfeel in the F10/11 chassis.

Quote:
BMW Wrote: The technically sophisticated suspension on the new BMW 5 Series Sedan combines very sporting driving qualities with an even higher level of motoring comfort. The double track control arm front axle made of aluminium allows clear separation of the wheel guidance and damping functions again in the interest of motoring comfort. Hardly influenced in the slightest by lateral forces, the dampers are able to respond particularly sensitively to bumps or unsmoothness on the road. At the same time the kinematic configuration of the front axle, with the precisely matched wheel camber, keeps the tyres smoothly and consistently on the road for optimum grip, ensuring effective transmission of high lateral forces even without a particularly firm set-up potentially detrimental to motoring comfort.
IMO, that translates to a different roadfeel (separation of wheel guidance and damping functions) and a change in the way road disturbances transmit to the car body and to the driver's seat, the other way we sense a degree of roadfeel. The other factor of 'matched wheel camber' can also refine the suspension in a way that reduces the level, or the way feedback is transmitted to the steering.

I'm sure M-sport engineers have had to live with these changes when tuning the M5 steering, even with HPS in the parts bin. It is clear to me, if F10 M5 steering feedback is 'dulled', (rather than designed that way) compared to the E60 cars, there isn't an easy fix in the F10 chassis, even with all the experience of HPS.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0