View Single Post
      12-11-2016, 08:57 AM   #123
borderm3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 M Sport

*EDIT*
I read this and realized how rude it may come off. I should preface by saying how good and diligent the work by gclions has been thus far.
*EDIT*

I recently picked up a a 2011 X5 with the n63 motor. I was hoping to reboot this to some degree.

For me the requirements are fairly simple, reorganize the intake such that the air subjected to the intake is least susceptible to heat in the engine bay and that the intake path is least restricted as possible. Being that it is a turbo, optimizing an acoustical cavity is not necessary.

It looks like the intake tubes for the the F85 X5M might solve the problem of having a restricted and improper orientation on the N63. As far as I can tell it looks like they might fit and bolt up, granted I am just looking at pictures. It looks like a custom rubber gasket maybe required as the diameter of the cylindrical orifice on the turbos mating to the intake tubes are slightly different between the S and N turbos.

These two pieces collectively are ~$200.

If these fit up without any spatial issues in the engine bay, then I suspect the next problem becomes an arts and crafts one. The problem as I see it, is making the odd geometry tubing from the F85 X5M intake tubes to the air filters that would be where the current intake starts in front of the radiator.

For proof of concept, I think I can use water activated fiberglass rolls, much like what is used to make a cast in medicine. I am looking for some advice on what to use to make the molds in which I would wrap around the fiberglass. Something that is pliable. This allows mistakes and can be gutted out once the fiberglass cures. The first thing that came to mind was high density foam, but once I cut, I can't go back. I don't think I have the skills to pull this off. Hence the driving force for something pliable.

I don't think this is a complicated problem, it is just difficult to work with complicated geometries without having a access to injection molding machines, etc. The X5M has the same setup with a reasonable intake. Perhaps we can overcome this with some good fiberglass work or something until a POC exists? Worst case scenario I will 3d print an interface to the turbo inlet and go from there.

Chris

Last edited by borderm3; 12-11-2016 at 07:21 PM..
Appreciate 0