View Single Post
      12-11-2016, 07:18 PM   #125
borderm3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 M Sport

Are you certain of this, if so can you please elaborate?

This was a consideration when I first looked at the system. I know very little about this, but from a few minutes of research I gathered the hot film system is conservative with respect to temperature and velocity. Thus the change in temperature is still proportional to the rate of mass entering the engine.

e.g. The amount temperature decreases on the hot wire as a result of the increase in velocity results in the correct change in mass/time.

I know nothing about how sensitive this is. If this is a problem it will be very easy to tell on the first data log.

Another option is to attempt adjust the geometry of the system such that it yields the same conditions that are at the stock HFM. If this can't be done, take data from the new setup and the old setup, curve fit, figure out a function that normalizes the new setup to the old and use that to program some electronics between the hfm and ecu.

I am just spit balling 100%, It will require experimentation, but I still see no reason why it is a real problem. It is just a question of motivation.

I hope I don't come off argumentative. I'm sure you can tell, I am the kind of person that want's to know why. Many times things aren't done because people don't understand the system and assume it can't be done. After all, I am posting here to see if there is still any interest in this project. If there isn't, I will go radio silent and just work myself. I am very motivated to play around and develop a path forward to aftermarket upgrades on this platform.

Chris
Appreciate 1
spyroz162.50