ErnestHouse
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i GT

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jykishan View Post
Is it me or is the "auto" function of the climate control completely useless?? …. The temp here in N. FL is all over the damn place, some days like today its 70 and some days its 35 at night, not cold for you northerners but still. So like today if its 70 and I want cool air, I turn the dial to 60, but I still get warm air out of the windshield/side window vents because the center dial is still red, and if I feel like the air is blowing too slow, I gotta turn up the air speed. Whats the point? Am I doing something wrong??
[EDIT] WARNING: If you life in a cold snowy climate, when reading further, resist the strong desire to stick an ice pick in your eye.

As a Floridian, I empathize with this. Strategies for using the BMW system by people in regions with more defined "seasons" don't play well in those like Florida.

The role of the center knob has been explained well in this thread so I won't go into it. For what it's worth, here's my strategy that I am using:

Set the center "Face Vent" in the middle position between red and blue marks.
Sometime when the temperature is in the 80's and you've had the AC running, put the CC in Auto mode and intensity level 3. Adjust the temperature until you find the car stays comfortable. Put the intensity on level 2 and leave it there.

When you get in a hot car, press Max AC until the car cools down. Then press Max AC again to return to normal AC. Anytime you feel the CC isn't keeping up with the heat pounding in the windshield, that means the range you are allowing the CC to operate within isn't keeping up. You need to increase it's intensity using the intensity control. Likewise, if the sun isn't as intense and you you want it quieter, lower the intensity and that will limit the noise level of the fan and hopefully keep up with the cooling needs.

When you want heat, press the AC button to turn it off. Personally, I find I have a different temperature for heating situations then for cooling since clothing is different. I haven't had much chance to hone in on the heating scenario. Winter was only a couple of days long this year. YMMV

Last edited by ErnestHouse; 03-23-2014 at 05:47 PM..
Appreciate 0