ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
In what way?

I go back to the 1970's with BMW, to my father's New Class 2000 sedan. The whole history of BMW has its issues, shows the weaknesses of any model. I could list a few issues in this context, spread through the years. But that is like any other make, the weak links are bound to show up in high production numbers.

At the same time there are owners clocking over 200,000 miles without issues, even in the so called 'troubled' engines.

From my perspective of the OP's engine, we need to establish what went wrong, not yet known if it has anything to do with any existing issues. Facts are needed, not jumping to any conclusions of BMW making poor engines, as if this failure is an example of common issues.

HighlandPete
Yes, agreed.

Once we know what went wrong, it'll make a huge difference in this discussion. If it was truly a "design flaw" that lead to the engine blowing, I'd expect to see the problem reoccur in statistically significant numbers. If it was an isolated incident, I'd expect not.

Nobody's arguing that this engine has been without issue, but as Pete says, there are more than a number of other examples throughout BMW's history (and nearly all other makes) where you can find similar "less reliable" models to pick apart. And unless you can correlate the incident here to the engine's "other" known issues, it's meaningless. Sometimes bad stuff happens - to "good" engines and "bad" engines alike.

My point is simple, however - which is that YOU'RE the buyer, and it's your responsibility to do your homework, assume the risk of your purchase, and be prepared to mitigate the worst if it occurs. It's BMW's job to honor their warranty. If you're driving around in a 95k mile expensive luxury car without any kind of financial safety net (e.g. warranty), then you're assuming the risk should the worst happen - which could be a complete loss. Should it happen? Hell no. A modern engine shouldn't blow up at 95k miles. CAN it happen? Yes, to a BMW V8 or a Honda 4-banger.

Now, is a faulty design that lead to this issue? We just don't know. But if it was, I'd expect to see quite a few of these posts. And simply because the engine has had problems X, Y, and Z, it doesn't automatically mean those are related to this incident. Hopefully the OP will provide information as it becomes available. But truthfully, even if it turned out that the engine's design is the issue, and ALL of them will blow up prematurely, I'd still insist it's not BMW's liability - so long as they've honored their warranty terms, as that's ALL they've ever committed to you.
Appreciate 0